Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2017, 10:40:46 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Click above to get to StudyDroid.com

+  StudyDroid forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  StudyDroid Discussion
| | |-+  charset support?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: charset support?  (Read 8906 times)
flyashi

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2009, 12:17:52 am »

Hello,

Just curious - does StudyDroid support foreign character sets, such as Korean, or right-to-left languages, like Hebrew? If not, is this a limitation of StudyDroid, or Android's lack of support for these character sets?

Thanks,

- flyashi

P.S. Would also be nice to "save password" on "Sync" page.
jikiboyo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 10:21:08 am »

I have a similar question, and don't want to put it into another forum post because of their similarity.  I tried to create kanji flash cards for class and have made them on the site, but when I synced them to my phone, all i saw were symbols and numbers.  Any word on foreign language support, or how to get around this?
Varx
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:00:45 am »

Right now Studydroid should support importing any symbols covered in ISO-8859-1

I know that actually writing on the cards on the phone in kanji or other foreign language symbols should be possible because of this video that some one posted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4vlKjG6aYU

I'm researching into ways of importing these symbols from the web to the phone, but it's hard for me to test any of them, since I have an American phone and don't speak the languages. Can you make a list here of packs that have symbols in them that look fine online, but don't sync to the phone right. I'll do my best to try and cover as many symbols as possible in future releases. Transferring from html, to plain text, to text that the G1 can understand is proving to be difficult, but with enough tries I should eventually be able to support most symbols.

-Varx
jikiboyo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:14:25 am »

Well I made kanji pack named "kanji pack" Cheesy.  It contains 24 kanji, and also contains hiragana as well as english for the explaining the character. please let me know if you need anything else.
gunnygt49

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 03:02:11 pm »

Yes I am having the same problem. I have a kanji set as well "kanji Lesson 13."  Please get this working ASAP because I have a quiz this week! thank you Smiley
jikiboyo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 04:52:41 pm »

I actually have a kanji quiz tomorrow. It took an hr. To make these cards. I do hope a fix comes soon for this.
gunnygt49

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 11:31:09 am »

Thank you thank you so much for fixing it!!! The best studying app out there. Arigato gozaimasu.
jikiboyo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 11:41:02 am »

just tried to sync it but still appears as numbers, is there something that I should do?
Varx
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 12:19:08 pm »

All of StudyDroid is now in UTF-8, where before the default was ISO. With standard ASCII characters, you shouldn't notice any difference. However,  some latin special characters will need to be re-typed in online.

Before version 1.2.0  the special Latin characters were in ISO, and even though your browser might still display them correctly (Firefox does a great job of this) they are not in UTF-8 and they will need to be retyped, here on the site by the pack author.

I'm working on a script that will be able to automatically do this for large packs. If it's only just a few letters, though it will be faster if you just retype the special characters.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Varx
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 12:20:53 pm by Varx » Logged
jikiboyo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 12:37:09 pm »

So do I just retype and resync?
Varx
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 12:38:56 pm »

Hello,

Just curious - does StudyDroid support foreign character sets, such as Korean, or right-to-left languages, like Hebrew? If not, is this a limitation of StudyDroid, or Android's lack of support for these character sets?

Thanks,

- flyashi

In version 1.2.0, everything in StudyDroid is using UTF-8, which mean that in theory all language symbols should be supported. However, after doing some research it seems that android does not have font support for all of the characters covered in UTF-8, like Hebrew. There's not much I can do about this. The good news is that once google does release font support for these languages, StudyDroid should support these characters immediately.

So do I just retype and resync?
Yes, that should work as long as you have the latest version from the market.

-Varx
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 12:45:31 pm by Varx » Logged
netrunnr

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 06:41:35 am »

It would be really really really awesome if you did Latex support!!! Check out http://www.physicsforums.com they do it in their forums - its not that difficult. And for all us science people out there it would be pretty incredible.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length